Saturday, May 25, 2013

Penny-pinching tips for OFW



One thing I regret is not setting a goal prior to going abroad.  All I was thinking  were the nice gadgets I'd purchased and the nice stuffs I can afford because "I WILL EARN DOLLARS!" Had I set goals earlier, I would have been home by now, but it's not too late, right?

I have been practicing frugality for four years now and its been hard at the beginning, but totally worth it. 

Here are some "frugal" stuffs I've been doing:

  • Public transportation. No taxi. Bus and trains are way to go. Walk whenever you can, it's good for your health. 

  • Pack lunch. Don't eat out a lot. I only eat out once a month to treat myself. (To know what my cheat meal is, click here.)

  • Find out if there is a public library near you. Library saves me a lot of money entertainment wise. I borrow DVDs, books and burn my time there. I swear by it.

  • Don't go to malls to past time. Even if you go there to just hang out, you cannot help but buy something. A pretzel here, a soda there, those will add up. Read a book instead.

  • Go for a "No Spending Day" habit or "No Spending Weekend", and if you feel like you are a hardcore frugalista, go for "No Spending Month". ( I went for 2 months without spending anything for myself. It's doable. For tips and tricks, click here.)

  • Don't post pictures to impress your Facebook friends. It's too costly. 

  • And if you are one if those people who can't help but post pictures on Facebook, you don't have to freakin' buy new clothes for every darn picture session. Your friends don't care if you are wearing same clothes two posts ago, and if they say something, give them your middle finger. Haha.

  • Don't buy every new gadget that comes out. Think long term; OFW life isn't forever

  • Don't hang out with friends who enable you to spend. "Sis, sayang 'yan. Bilhin mo na, bagay sa 'yo. On sale pa naman." Hang out with a like-minded friends, or just enjoy yourself solo. You will have time to know yourself more.

  • Don't give every salary to your family back home. Just please don't do that!

  • Don't keep on giving your family impression that life abroad is great. You know it's not, don't kid yourself.

  • Buying gift for yourself coz you have been working hard? Don't reward yourself with material stuffs and gadgets, buy stocks instead, a gift for your future.

  • Off from work? Bored? Lay in your bed then envisioned your life in the future. You are exercising your brain and practicing the power of visualization.

  • If possible,buy used.

  • Ask God for the gift of contentment.

  • No to credit card. It's a trap. 

  • Learn how to cut your own hair. To know how I have been doing mine, click here.

Those are pretty much what I've been doing to save money.  

We are given opportunity to earn so much than what we earn back home, don't waste it. We won't be OFWs forever. 

1 comment:

  1. •And if you are one if those people who can't help but post pictures in Facebook, you don't have to freakin' buy new clothes for every damn picture session. Your friends don't care if you are wearing same clothes two posts ago and if they say something, give them your middle finger. Haha ------------ i lOVE this!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. I read and appreciate all comments. :)