Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Electricity Bill Report: From Php 657 to Php 1,670? What the Heck?!



Okay, so I just received my last month's electric consumption bill and when I looked at it, my mouth dropped. Over 100 percent freakin' more? What the heck is going on here?!








THE CULPRIT:



  • Electric Stove ( too much usage) : When I paid Php 657 last billing cycle ago, I was using electric stove so I thought it won't eat too much electricity, but I have been cooking more so maybe that's why.
  • Mung Beans Boiling: I have been posting how I'm currently obsessed with mung beans ice cream. I have been boiling my mung beans on the electric stove, which takes about 30 mins. Made 3 batches of it already. Yup, mung beans ice cream is one of the culprit.
  • Stark and Pepper's Bones: Been cooking the bones on the electric stove too which takes about 20 mins every Sunday. Though I have been doing it since the last billing cycle.
  • Electric Kettle: I think this is the major, major culprit. This is the only additional gadget that consumes electricity  I added last month.
  • Wielding Machine: So they, meaning the workmen, have been using wielding machine for the balcony ( one on second floor, one on the third floor) and for the spiral staircase. They aren't done yet.

ACTION PLAN:



  • Buy LPG, like ASAP!
  • Since I only boil bones and mung beans once a week, which is on Sundays, I will put this thing to good use:



This use to be my mom's. I just saw this while I was purging and de-cluttering. Do you know what this thing is? It's for when you cook stuff using charcoal. So yah, I'll use this once a week for an hour to hour and a half cooking my fave mung beans dessert and Stark and Pepper's bones. Don't worry, I will be watching this thing like a hawk to prevent fire. And I know how to use this thing. I grew up using this so yah.


  • Fan should be kept on number 2 or lower
  • No more electric kettle




Let's see how low will my next month's electric bill go by  doing the action plans I mentioned.

13 comments:

  1. Excited to know magkano ang electric bill mo next month. Follower of your blog since nandoon ka pa sa abroad. Why don't take blogging seriously, who knows it could turn into money making machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, yah. I am excited to know too!

      About blogging, I don't really think of it as a money making machine kasi I am just doing it for fun. I'd like to know lang how big this thing could grow without the help of facebook fan page and the likes. I want also to keep this blog personal as possible, yung type na I could post pictures of me and my dogs, tell you guys personal things without having the need to worry if people I know would get offended.

      Delete
  2. Super laki nga ng difference from your previous bill. Kapag nagluluto mama ko ng munggo binababad muna nya sa tubig sa gabi tapos pakulo sa umaga. Mas madali daw lumambot yung munggo. Hehe. Nag-uuling din kami lalo na kung nagpapalambot ng baka. Go sis, sana bumaba na yung consume mo ng kuryente next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ai sus, na loka ako! hehehe.


      Yah, will buy LPG today na.

      Thanks for the munggo tip ha? I should do that. Yep, talagang mag uuling na ako when I cook bones for Stark and Pep. Let's see how low this bill could go next month!

      Delete
  3. hi maria, just like the Cindy mentioned, you really need to make babad the monggo overnight so that it will cook faster..kaya pala nagtaka ako why 30minutes inabot yung pagpapakulo mo hehehe also, talagang mas mahal lalabas pag electric stove ka. LPG is really the best and yeah charcoal cooking for stuff that needs matagal na boiling..or you could also invest on a good pressure cooker..less time rin it will take for you to boil.

    another suggestion is buy nalang a thermos so you can just boil water and pour it in. the water should still be hot till afternoon, if you often use hot water :) good luck :) p.s could oyu post a recipe of your mung bean ice cream? I am really curious to try it out :) we are monggo lovers as well ---kath

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yah, thanks sa suggestion., ngayon ko lang yan na isip about babad the monggo tip. My lola use to do that and now that you guys mentioned it, ngayon ko lang na recall. Thanks Kath.


      Meron naman akong thermos na gamit so I only use the electric kettle once everyday. Yan lang kasing electric kettle na yan na add sa mga appliances ko so yan ang sinisi ko pero now that I think of it, baka si munggo beans at si bones ang culprit at hindi si electric kettle. hehehe.


      Lol, yan mung beans ice cream is super simple lang. Boil 2 cups of monggo till soft, chill sa fridge, add once can of condensed milk, chill again then eat. If you like hopia with monggo or ensaymada with monggo then you'll probably like this too. Nakakabusog nga yang mung beans ice cream na yan but I kind of like it, no LOVE it pala. hehehe

      Delete
  4. I’m also very mindful with our electric consumption. After a month naman, my effort to lower our electric bill paid off. Induction cooker ba yung gamit mo or yung conventional electric stove? Mas mababa kasi consumption ng induction. And I find it safer to use than LPG…or baka praning lang ako. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ai, yan din ang initial thought ko since I nag work ako sa abroad, first world country that is, they use electric anything na. So pagdating ko dito, bumili talaga ako ng electric stove kasi sabi ko na this is "safer" than LPG.. But now, confident naman akong gumamit ulit ng LPG, vigilant lang talaga at turn it off every after use. So yah, praning din ako sa sunog sunog at talagang bibili ako ng fire alarm, one sa first floor at one sa second floor at fire extinguisher din. Praning lang.


      My former boss has induction cooker, para lang siyang electric stove noh?

      Yep, electric stove talaga ang gamit ko sis. Na loka ako sa bill. hehehe

      Delete
  5. At home naman, they are using stove and they use basic appliances only - TV, fridge, occasional floor polisher and weekly ironing of clothes - but still their average monthly bill is Php 1000.

    That's why I am saving up for solar panels. We scouted shops here already and the cost for complete solar panel for running a house with full appliances. It comes around 150k php + the shipping cost.

    This is one of my 'to buy things' before heading home for good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard about solar panel and I was thinking of getting one myself until I heard Dave Ramsey talk against it on one of his podcasts. I forgot his explanations but he was against it, so being Dave's follower, I didn't dig deeper na about solar panel churva.

      Delete
    2. @frugal expat, tignan mo yung power input ng bawat appliances mo, yung ref namin is only 90 Watt, nakakasave kami ng sobra, sa microwave lang medyo mataas ang power niya which is 1000 watt yata so bihira na ang gamit ng toaster at microwave, minsan pa nga hindi na namin ginagamit talaga - kahit bawasan niyo yung gamit sa ibang appliances niyo still kung mataas ang power ng gamit niyo mataas pa rin ang kuryente= kaya din nauso yung mga led bulb - nasa mga 5 watt lang mga led bulb - yun ang culprit minsan.

      Delete
  6. Tumaas din electric bill namen. Actually pati water bill. I'm glad I read the comments and I've learned the "babad the monggo" tip before trying the mung beans ice cream :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog an hour ago and now I'm hooked, hopping from one blog post to another :) Naa nako idea taga-asa ka kay MECO imong electric provider :D

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. I read and appreciate all comments. :)