Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Online Teaching: I Aced the Interview (kind of) but Failed the Surprise Demo





I started applying last January and started working last February 15. I would have started sooner (the whole process took less than a week for me to get accepted, but I kept on delaying my starting date because I was scared beyond belief. They even sent me an e-mail stating that If I don't want to start sooner, then let them know coz they will let me go. haha! For reals! So, nag start na talaga ako. Bahala na! But then, when I got started, I realized it wasn't too bad and I kept on wondering why was I scared in the first place. Getting started, they said, is the hardest part and it's true!)



Interview Process:

I submitted my application online and I got a call few hours after. Of course I was nervous, but I think I did well with the interview. Modesty aside, I can speak English quiet well. Maybe because of my five years stay in the US. I do have a slight American accent (as what the interviewer said. lol. blushing!) but when you let me speak tagalog... man, I suck at it! Really! My tagalog is super bad and you can really tell that I am bisaya when I speak Tagalog. Like really!


Questions:

- Self introduction

- Hobbies
- Why do you want to teach online?
- Teaching experiences?
- Degree you took up in college
- Any kids?
- Do you have quiet space to conduct your classes if ever you'll get accepted?
- Why would we hire you?
- Are you familiar with Skype?
- Are you willing to undergo training?
- Are you pregnant or planning to get pregnant soon?
- Moving soon? 
- Plans on going abroad?




The whole phone interview took about 15 minutes then they scheduled me for a Skype interview. I had Skype interview the day after.

During Skype Interview:

- Make sure you are in a quiet place. Dapat walang tao na nag pa-pass by sa likuran mo.

- They'll ask the same question in the interview
- They'll ask if the current place you are having your interview is the place you will conduct your classes.


The Skype interview took less than 5 minutes then they scheduled me for training.


Training:


- They sent me a pdf that contains information about the company, salary and all that. It also contains the training material.
- They sent me the training material few days before the actual training and I had a lot of time to study the material. I did just that but I focused on the company information, salary and stuff and I didn't focus on the training part. IT WAS A BAD MISTAKE.
- Note to self: Review the Training module because they might ask you for a surprise demo.

-  Surprised demo: I sucked at it! Man, I couldn't even tell you how embarrassed I was! Grabeh, nag stutter talaga ako and all. Basta, I SUCKED AT IT! Luckily, it didn't affect the application process.




  • They scheduled me for an initial demo. The "student" was a staff of the company.
  • After, they scheduled me for a final demo with an actual Japanese student.



Okay, will explain more about the initial demo as well as the final demo in my next post.

Bye for now! 

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new job! It must be exciting for you to work with people from other nationalities again after your work in the US. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. more details please! :) whats the name of the company? --kath

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. I read and appreciate all comments. :)